Saturday, June 28, 2014

thermos cookware

A few of my friends who have already resided in their own residence (mine is still NOT ready). Have advised me to purchase house essentials slowly as we wait not-so patiently for the arrival of the house keys. This is because there will be so much things that needs to be purchased when we finally do get our long awaited flat.

I purchased a Thermos 7 pcs 8/18 stainless steel cookware set for.. get this, SGD50. This baby actually costs more than SGD300.



A lady sold it off to clear her stock. I purchased this ages ago.

Recently I went to Pastamnia for a field trip with my students. The chef showed us how to prepare a pizza. He started off by introducing us to different types of pans and cookwares. And explained how different cookwares aren't suitable for induction cooktops. That was when it struck me.

"What if the cookware that I bought isn't induction cooker friendly?"

I have been dying to own a kitchen with an induction cooktop/hob. And it comes with a weird reason.

I like to see everything even. Like the kitchen top especially, I like everything to be of even height. The normal gas hob potrudes out. And I do not like that.

Like I said, it IS a weird reason.

It is like looking from the side-view at rows of books neatly pressed against a bookshelf and one book potrudes out. I don't like it.

Call it obsessive compulsive disorder or just plain weird but that is just what I would particularly like to have. Neatly arranged interior.

I do not even like the sight of rice cookers, air pots or any appliances situated on the kitchen top. I am particular about it. My motto- use it and keep it.

I am drawn to the bosch induction cooktop :


It is a sight for sore eyes. My goodness.

Back to my Thermos cookware. It states that it is a 18/8 stainless steel. Further googling if the respected cookware is compatible with an induction cooktop showed depressing results.

Until I read further :


(Regrettably, there is no simple way to know if this or that line, or particular piece, of cookware is really induction-ready, unless you have the opportunity to actually handle it. In that case, all you need is a simple magnet of any kind--say one of those decorative toys meant to be stuck onto refrigerator doors. If such a magnet readily clings to the base of the cookware piece, that piece is induction-ready; if the magnet does not cling, or clings only very weakly, the piece is not.)


I removed the cookwares from its box and placed the magnets (2 out of kiasuism) to my pleasant surprise, it stuck on!


The side of the box was all written in Spanish so I did not undertand what were the features of the respected cookwares.

Then I flipped the box to the other side and what do you know-English! Perfect English!

And it states clearly that it is induction friendly.

I felt stupid.  And cheated.. by a box. Oh well. We all have had those days don't we?


So.. yes! I can still get the induction hob/cooktop for my new house!

No comments: