Friday, May 01, 2015

BTO APPLIANCE HUNT

We are still in the process of having our humble abode renovated. We are blessed to be going through this crazy experience. It is a tiring but rewarding experience. For our case, we are very much blessed to have Owen, our interior designer, to settle the countless nitty-gritty details. We let him take charge of purchasing lights (for most parts of the house) and some fittings.

We are absolutely busy with our never-ending schedules, that we hardly have time to source out for much. We did manage to get the EF cooker hood, hob and built-in oven from Mustafa though, total damage done for these three items : $900+

We also managed to source out with my in-laws, for a nice LG refrigerator (and we got a free microwave with that) and Whirlpool washing machine and dryer. Estimated cost for these is around $2000.

Whirlpool Front Load Washing Machine

Whirlpool Dryer. 



 The LG fridge 
The "free" LG microwave that comes with the fridge



 I was quite pissed with how they used the term "free" to describe the microwave. 
After purchasing the fridge, you need to self-collect the microwave at the LG Customer Service centre, fair enough, I mean all free things come with a price as well, right?

 I called LG customer service centre to enquire what were the things needed in order for me to get my "free" microwave. The lady said strictly a cut-out of my serial number on the box of the fridge. She said I needed to make my way down to the service centre by a given date. I asked her why, and she replied with "This is a first come, first serve basis, If the microwave is gone, then you might not get it at all."

Then lady, define : free gift, with every purchase.


Moving on, I mostly ONLY had time to do online shopping. I can't leave my kids at home with my mother for a long period of time. She needs her rest, therefore, if I were to ever shop for things, it will be with them. Most of the time now, Idros is not around. Hence, shopping will not be very productive with me chasing after the children.


But I did get some good deals online. I have allowed myself to purchase things from taobao. However the things bought are with the help of my Mandarin-speaking colleagues. I get confused when it comes to purchasing the items.


I bought two of these beautiful waterfall faucet. I stumbled upon a lady who blogged about her renovation journey, and she purchased these on taobao. That was when I KNEW I HAD to get it as well. I got them at $80 for TWO.

I intended to get cheap IKEA ceramic basins for these faucets. Owen, my interior designer gave me the most helpful tip, "Hana, please bring along your faucet. Most IKEA items only support their own faucet."

He was obviously RIGHT. I can't fit my faucets into ANY of the ceramic basin. I was so upset. Owen needed the ceramic basin soon so his carpenter can fabricate the vanity cabinet around it.

Owen kindly volunteered to help us find the perfect ceramic basin. Therefore, I told him our budget, and he was the one who sourced out the ceramic basins for the two bathrooms in our house. He took a picture of it and sent it to me via whatsapp. I have to admit, it is pleasing to the eyes.



Next taobao purchase is the towel rack. Another colleague helped me purchase it. The cheapest towel rack that I found here, in Singapore, is $38 each.


But I got this at $31 for TWO, INCLUSIVE of DELIVERY.


I purchased TRENDS water heater from fairprice extra at $98 and $107 respectively. Then I realised groupon was selling Panasonic water heater at the same price. First rule to remember when buying appliances; Japanese brands lasts longer.


Talk about Japanese product, we purchased another good deal online, Air Creations on facebook. They sell the cheapest air conditioner in town. $2399 for a system 3 air conditioner. We decided to go with Panasonic for this.


My father has kindly sponsored all of my ceiling fans. All of them include lights. I save up on purcahsing room lights because of this.

 Fanco fan $300 each (purchased 2)
  Crestar fan $300+

Crestar fan $300+

I purchased the Rubine granite crystal sink from QOO10 at $215.


I also bought the same brand, Rubine faucet at $81.




Last but not least,  a store bought product from IKEA. Bathroom lights and pendant lights for the dining room.


LOCK ceiling lamp $2.90 each (I bought 2) bulb costs me $9.90


FOTO pendant lamp $24.90 each (I bought 2) bulb costs me $9.90 each.


The estimated amount for all these items costs around $7000. Just remember to spare some cash aside apart from renovation expenses if you were to pay by cash for everything like we are.

Almost there :)

No comments: